- Kellan, A (Oct 5th, 2015). Hydroponics, Urban Farming and Innovation in Learning. Science Nation (https://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/science_nation/about.jsp)
- Doane, S (Sept, 26th, 2015). Chinese schools adopt an American Approach. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chinese-schools-adopt-an-american-approach. CBS Evening News.
- Zhou, Li. (July 23, 2015). Boston College professor innovative practice hands-on help China with basic education curriculum into the primary and secondary schools. http://video.sinovision.net/?id=29693. Sinovision.
- WCVB Channel 5 (August 15, 2013), Back to the Land: Teaching a new generation. The Chronicle, WCVB-Channel 5, online at: http://www.wcvb.com/chronicle/back-to-the-land/-/12523032/21473460/-/5hyx38/-/index.html
- WGBH (2009). Video segment on WGBH that features the urban ecology ITEST project. Online: http://itestlrc.edc.org/inside_itest/maprofile.html
- Hallmark Morning and Hallmark Sunday (December, 24th, 2007). Video segment on ITEST summer program with Boston Public School students. Hallmark Cable Channel.
Other Video produced by Boston University’s School of Journalism
Overview of our vertical hydroponic greenhouse and how it works
Setting up the Farmers Market
Newspaper and Magazine Articles
- Angiolillo, P. (August, 19th, 2015). Robots take over McDevitt. Daily News Tribune, on-line at: http://waltham.wickedlocal.com/article/20150819/NEWS/150816380
- Nancy Liu (July 14, 2015). Begin to solve the problem of the introduction of China’s basic education. World Journal, http://www.worldjournal.com/3333165/article–動手解決問題-引入中國基礎教育/ (Note – this work is based on NSF funded work over the past six years)
- Landergan, K. (July 13, 2015). BC professor adds hands-on lessons to Chinese schools: On-line at: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/07/12/chinese-educators-tap-professor-help-loosen-country-learning-style/Z4TT4zgruxitAqSeuT8neN/story.html
- Schneck, K., & Zacharias, M. (Nov. 6, 2014). Soil-free farming prepares next generation for Green Energy future. http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/disc_summ.jsp?cntn_id=133284
- Schiller, B. (2014). Citizen Air Quality Sensors Cover the Places Governments Can’t Reach. Fast Company. http://www.fastcoexist.com/3031162/citizen-air-quality-sensors-cover-the-places-governments-cant-reach
- Carannante, T. (May 31, 2014). Research Aims to Utilize Technology and Citizen Science to Record and Broadcast Environment Data. http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/15100/20140531/research-aims-utilize-technology-citizen-science-record-broadcast-environment-data.htm
- Bruggers, J. (Sept. 30, 2014). Personal air monitors less useful than hoped. http://www.courier-journal.com/story/tech/science/environment/2014/09/29/pollution-micro-monitors-less-useful-hoped/16420565/
- Conrad, N. (April 11, 2013). Hydroponic Gardening: Hands-on learning at the Kroc Center: Online at: http://www.uphamscornernews.com/hydroponic-gardening-hands-on-learning-at-the-kroc-center.html
- Rosso, P. (March 5, 2013). Something is growing Uphams Corner. Boston.com http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/roxbury/2013/03/hold_something_is_growing_in_u.html
- Pyenson, A. (Feb, 23, 2013). Boston Teens Grow Green. http://edibleboston.com/boston-teens-grow-green/
- Walker, A. (Nov. 19, 2012). A gateway to science. Boston Globe. Online: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/11/19/professor-wins-kudos-for-using-fruits-and-vegetables-introduce-kids-science/SdUzy0BMZ81xPz3s24jivM/story.html?event=event12
- Tarini, G. (Dec. 3, 2012). BC professor recognized for urban education. The Heights, Boston College. Online: http://www.bcheights.com/bc-professor-recognized-for-urban-education-1.2963054
- Russo, P. (Oct. 9, 2012). Boston college professor looks to bring hydroponic agriculture to Uphams Corner. Boston Globe. Online: http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/dorchester/2012/10/hold_with_grant_boston_college.html
- Rocheleau, M. (Nov 3, 2011). A growing success at St. Columbkille Partnership School in Brighton. Boston Glob: Online: http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/allston_brighton/2011/11/a_growing_success_at_st_columb.html
- O’Neil, Meg (April 7, 2011). Soilless growing takes root at SRU. Newport News. Newport, RI. Online: http://issuu.com/newportthisweek/docs/04-07-11book
- Perkins, M. (June 6, 2007). Urban Tree Project engages students in surroundings. Daily News Tribune. Available at http://www.dailynewstribune.com/education/x1689350349.
- Wagner, S. (May 03, 2007). Talk on influence of science fiction. Weston Town Crier. Available at http://www.townonline.com/weston/news/x251103172.
- Williams, C. (December, 18, 2006). Tufts grant to help kids learn engineering. Mass High Tech. The New England Journal of Technology. Available: http://masshightech.bizjournals.com/masshightech/stories/2006/12/18/story15.html.
- Ackermann, M. (August 4, 2006). Teaching through trees. Allston-Brighton Tab.
- Boyce, N. (October 23, 2006). Interviewed for the impact of educational video games on classrooms, All Things Considered: National Public Radio.
- Guha, A. (January 20, 2006). Where extra credit equals extra lives. Allston-Brighton Tab.
- Kocian, L. (June 22, 2006). Fun and games at Waltham school: Video program as teaching tool. Boston Globe, p. 3.
- LaBella, M. (October 1, 2006). Feeling the Earth move: Students get the jump on studying New England earthquakes. The Eagle-Tribune.
- Rocchio, C. (July 27, 2006). Taking stock in trees. Daily News Tribune.
- Rocchio, C. (June 20, 2006). The joy of discovery. Daily News Tribune.
- Simmons, C. (November 9, 2005). Loud and Clear: McDevitt students participate in bioacoustics research with BC. Daily News Tribune.
- Myerov, J. (September 10, 2003). Grant helps school get a seismograph: Machine will let McDevitt students see tremors from as far away as Asia. Daily News Tribune.
Other media references and stories
- Roach, R. (Dec 28, 2006).Boston College Researchers to Develop Urban Environmental Science Curriculum. Diverse Issues in Higher Education.
- Eureka Report (2006). Boston College to develop urban environmental science curriculum for use in urban high schools. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-10/bc-bct103106.php.